Monday, February 2, 2009

A Community Outreach Chronicle

Out of the Pews
Too commonly churches find themselves mired in ministry that focuses almost entirely on meeting the needs of their congregates. Now more than ever churches must make a statement to the communities they serve that goes beyond a Sunday morning sermon. When churches connect with their community through ministry and service, the church is seen as relevant and its reputation is restored.

As my pastor friend Tim says, "The church must go out into the community before the community will come into the church. Before they will accept us we have to accept them".

How It All Started
In January 2005 our church leadership team merged several unconnected outreach activities under a coordinated vision to influence our community with the love of God. A mission statement was developed and staff was hired. The goal of the new outreach department was to influence an ever increasing number of non-Christians with God’s love and cause more in the congregation to become outreachers.

Existing events such as a monthly business luncheon, an annual Job Fair, sponsorship of a local elementary school and a weekly street evangelism outreach were partnered with monthly servant and invitational evangelism activities. Teaching on personal and relationship evangelism was initiated on a monthly basis.

What Happened
Five years later this increased emphasis on outreach has resulted in a significantly increased involvement in outreach and positive exposure for our church in the community.

Over the next few episodes of reachingoutloud I will simply chronicle how we got to where we are now. I don’t want to be one more self-proclaimed prophet laying down my version of how ministry should be conducted. We have done some things right and alot wrong, yet I am compelled to chronicle the journey.

Why Blog?
Why do I blog? I love my church but can’t personally connect to every outreacher. The people at Living Word deserve everything I’ve got and this blog is one more way to give it. I blog because ministry and leadership are better when learning is shared. I blog because I’d rather offer my journey than just assert my conclusions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive